Thursday, February 21, 2008

Beautiful Singing

I have been wanting to blog about this for a while now, but have had trouble coming up with the right words. So here goes:

I alluded to this in my "200 Things That Bring Me Joy" post, # 191. I don't know if you all know this or not, but I LOVE choral singing. I am a soloist as well, but there is something about a choir.
I sang with Choral Arts Society of Utah, for about 3 years, and took a leave of absence when I got pregnant with Jack, and went back just before Christmas. We do some really fun concerts. My favorites have been singing at Symphony Hall, and Murray Park, for Armed Forces Day, with the 23rd Army Band, and the Salvation Army Angel Tree Benefit Christmas Concert.

I have not always been a fan of singing classical music, especially in Latin or German. But things are quickly changing for me.

March 28, 2008 will be the premier performance of the "Missa Breva", a new work composed by Donny Gilbert, our Associate Music Director. I can't even begin to tell you what an amazing experience it has been, to be taught this amazing piece, by the man whose head it came out of. And the fact he has never heard it OUT of his head, until we sing it, is huge.

I have always been in awe of composers. Especially classical music. Mozart, John Williams, Mack Wilberg. It is so amazing to me, that they hear it in their head, put it on paper, then . And Beethoven, hello?!?!? The man was DEAF!!!!!

Anyway, if you are around Salt Lake, and want to be there when... YOU NEED TO COME TO THIS CONCERT!! We are also performing the Faure Requiem. You can find info here. I can get you tickets too!! Let me know if you are coming, it will be an AMAZING night!

No comments: