Friday, October 5, 2007

Thoughts before my surgery

K, so this has been coming... I knew that. But it really snuck up on me. And it's been weird, doing this thing...for a grownup. I've done it 7 times in the last year and a half. But never for a grown up. I was thinking, I know what to expect. It's surgery, I've spent the last year and a half consumed by surgery. Maybe it's the word...

BUT...this is for grown ups. I have never been under general. My baby has...but I haven't. I've been sedated, years ago, for dental work. and had spinals, for c sections. But Parker and Emma were totally natural. So, I'm not really sure how this will go. Guess I will find out.

I'm really thinking of figuring out a way to stay over night. *sigh* sad huh...

So with all our previous "surgery's" I have had a long time to prepare. This...nothing. And I was laid up last night. Yesterday, started out feeling like crap. And then it happened...The worse pain I've ever had. Seriously. So last night, I was wasted. I did manage to get a load of laundry in.

So...I am anxious to see what a grown up goes through. And I'm anxious to have it taken care of. And it will be nice...I hope, to be taken care of....instead of me doing it!

I'm really "bummed" cuz last night, I missed a seminar I was really looking forward to, and tomorrow is our big party. In my wildest dreams, I will have some great drugs, and be able to go for a little bit. But who knows... Oh, and I spent last night making a video for the party. Check it out. I would embed it, but it's not the subject of my post, so here:

The Faces of Early Intervention!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

We are thinking about you. Hope it goes well.

Mandy said...

unfortunately I am all too familiar with being under general. It happens really fast, they give you an IV put that gas stuff on your nose and out you go. And then you wake up--usually in pain from whatever the surgery is for. They make you eat and drink and then can go home--just like for little kids :) Oh I saw the cute picture you used of Caleb, he is such a doll. I didn't have any of him in EI or even his current therapy, so glad you used a cute one.

Anonymous said...

See what happens when ya blog after I start my mom duties! I miss out. What is going on? E-Mail me and let me know what's going on and how the he$# are you! Good luck on the party, I really, really want to be there! But I would much rather be in Disneyland so I'm gonna have to miss it. Good luck and I love ya!

Christine said...

Well since it's mid-friday, I'm sure you won't read this until after you're all done but maybe you'll see it and maybe it will help. After Owen was born (he's the middle one, my little spaz as I affectionately like to call him) I hemmoraged (can't remember how to spell it so forgive me) It was pretty bad and nobody believed me so I actually almost died. At home. Alone with the baby while my 5 year old was at kindergarten. Anyway, once I was at the hospital I was so scared of being put under. But it really turned out to be no big deal. The last thing I remember was just them talking to me and putting what they told me was an oxygen mask on (DUH!!) and then I remember looking over at a nurse and asking her when they were going to start and she said "honey, you're all done, you're in recovery" Just like that. It was easy really.

I know what you mean about wanting to stay over night though. When I was going through all the gallbladder surgery stuff, I was secretly hoping the option of surgery would be good enough that I'd really need it. This is going to sound bad but I was also secretly hoping I'd need it done traditionally rather than laproscopically because the recovery is longer. I had my husband so worked up about it (he's got Dr. anxiety) that he said he'd hire a nanny for the month while I got better. I do have to say I was a little disappointed that I opted not to have surgery, lol. I mean can you imagine a NANNY!!! for a MONTH!!!! Oh, that's even better than chocolate! LOL

Don't worry, you'll do fine. I hope you feel all better soon! :)

Erika said...

I hope things go well for you today Jenny. Good luck with surgery and I hope you recover quickly and are able to take a little break in the meantime.