Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Aunt Millie

If you don't have an Aunt Millie, I'm sorry. Let me tell you about my Aunt Millie. She is my Gramma Fuller's sister, by hearts, not blood. They were raised together. And stayed together. I grew up, knowing family was everything. They shared a huge house. Each had an apartment, up and downstairs. I remember the narrow stairs up to her house. And how her house smelled like moth balls.

She was at every family event. She always sent cards, and a check at every birthday, and Christmas. She always underlined her favorite words in the card. And sign her name and the year. She was so happy to send cards, and was SO tickled of how many she received.

She was an elementary school teacher, for...forever. She taught kids of her kids. Maybe even grandkids. I know what school she taught at, and when I was little, we visited it. I think something was named after her at that school. She was SO PLEASED.

She was the picture of a proper lady, in speech and appearance. Even when her wig was crooked. She worried about toll calls, not wanting to bother anyone, and how the paramedics would get in if her doors were locked!

She died on Sunday. She was a month away from 95 years old. Even though I haven't seen her in about 8 years, I can tell she is gone. Her light will forever be in my heart. And... "I was going to say..." will always be in my vocabulary!

This is my feeble attempt to share her with YOU!

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This was lovely. I watched the whole thing. I loved the B&W pictures best. Isn't that strange?

Anyway, thank you for the lovely tribute to your Aunt Millie.